Saturday, December 27, 2008

December 26, 2008

Today is Friday and I am getting ready go to work. I am sure that today the building where I work the business is going to be slow. I don't expect much business activity day after Christ mast. As I arrived at work, I noticed few cars parked inside the parking garage. To my surprise, I observe quiet of few cars parked. Yes, very few, but I taken back of people coming to work day after Christ mast.

Anyways, I am at work so I might as well do something constructing such as reading a book. I going to work today with my dread co-worker, Alicia. I don't dislike her or found distasteful, however, I do find her irritating. Figuratively, Alicia can pitch your skin and fine ways to annoy someone. I don't know exactly what it is about her, but I can assure you it gets to me. I don't lose my control during some of our disagreements when we talk. I just stay calm about the matter and later complain just to make think she has the upper hand. I prefer to walk away from her annoying nagging and just move around the building away from her. Today, I just want the day to go fast.

In order to make the day go fast, I am going to read. My first story was, "The Story of an Hour", and, " The Storm" both from Kate Chopin. "The Story of an Hour" is about a woman, Mrs Ballard getting the dreaded news about her husband getting killed in an accident. Dreaded news is not for her. At first, she is engulf by emotions of hearing her husband death. She runs inside her room to express her emotions, but something happen. She is unable to control herself from this subconscious true emotions that she truly wants to extrovert. Slowly, the real emotions comes out. She is free! She free from her husband. We don't know exactly why she over joy of her husband death. The story does not give any indication if the husband was emotionally or physically abusing Mrs. Ballard. We only can assume such dreaded things that happen. Obviously, the relationship of these two individuals was not well. Or, maybe the relationship was well in the point of view of the husband. Mrs. Ballard lived in a time of women knew her place, the home. We don't exactly how they came to join this marriage. Was it rearrange for economic, social or for family gain?

It is clearly that Mrs Ballard is free from this man, not husband, because there is no love, but just a mirage of love. Her desire to spend another time with this man is wishful thinking. She cried because she was condition to cry in such tragedy event. However, once she gather herself, Mrs Ballard slowly began to bring the past of what this man did to her. Her images of this man is not of joy, but pain, suppression, hurtfulness and fear. It is clear that during their marriage Mrs Ballard, was unhappy and now that her despotic husband died she can be joyful like never before and that is why she died over joy. She did not died of the heart, but because she was free from his wrath. She must have waited for this day and the day it came, she was going to rest in peace.

The second story is The Storm. The story concentrates on three characters. The storm, Alice and Calixta. This fast moving storm moves into town, which ironically brings two couples back together. Calixta is marry and has a son and Alice is married as well, but they both have sentimental memories of each other. It is clearly that both characters desire each other, but its unknown why they move apart from each other. Best educated assumption I can bring is that Calixta married the wrong person not because on her part, but based on culture and custom ways. She married because her family had prearrange the marriage. Women were not free to use her husband, but it arrange for political and economical reasons. The true love did exist. True love existed below the surface line. However, their love for each other was known. Calixta and Alice would never see each alone for that reason. However, this storm brought them together to rekindle old fond memories. Could this mean the beginning or just spur of the moment. The story does not get into more detail, but rest assure, this feeling are not going away, which could lead to build up of sentimental love. True love is for the keeping and never goes away unless it is activated and once activated, it cannot be stop. Yes, she is married as well as Alice, but their true love is close to them, but very far to reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment