Monday, December 22, 2008

Diary: December 22, 2008

Today is Monday and the day started early in the morning. I usually don't work early in the morning, but because my co-worker, Mario, needed the early morning to train at his new job, so I agree to switch with him. I prefer to work early in order to leave at three in the afternoon, but it takes time to get used to waking up early in the morning.

I relieved Jaime, the security guard in the midnight shift. He gave all the necessary pass on information regarding the building operations. Truly, there is not much pass on information to be pass on because there is little that happens in the midnight. However, most of the information is based on the elevator operation status. The elevators of the building are very inconsistent. They occasionally stop working or temporarily stop moving while passengers are inside. Today early in the morning is no different. The low rise elevator number two stop working with a passenger inside. The gentleman seem very calm throughout the matter as if he was accustom getting stuck inside the elevator. The problem with the situation was my other co-worker, Alicia Herrera. Now, I normally don't care of other co-workers being late, but in her case, I do have issues with her.

Alicia Herrera has been working in the building for seven years, and lacks the security experiences that I am accustom to. In addition, she is very by the book, but yet she does not follow the rules set by management. She has this unrighteous habit of criticizing others for not following the rules.

She was late to work and I needed her to be here because I had someone stuck inside the elevator. I called Joel, building engineer to assist me on the matter. I called the Schindler Elevator company to have a technician to assist getting the gentleman out of the elevator. Now, the response time is unknown because the dispatcher does not have real time contact with the technician. I normally won't follow this procedure because it takes a considerate amount time to get someone to respond to our location. I prefer take the safer option and call fire rescue in order to eliminate any gaps in response time. My concern is for the person stuck in the elevator.

I don't know if the person stuck in the elevator is clausterphopic or has medical condition. For my experience, people stuck in the elevator don't get nervous, but I prefer not to take a chance. The liability for not responding quickly could be costly for the management. I like to close all gaps to eliminate any problems for the building that could be use in court of law.

Unfortunately, my co-worker, Alicia, has a different look at things. She is very naive and does not see the big picture. She doesn't understand the dynamics of dealing with this situations because it can get out of control depending on the person stuck inside the elevator. It all depends on the person's mental state how they are going to respond when being stuck inside the elevator. I prefer to take every call with a serious matter rather than apathetic attitude.

Fortunately, the gentleman got out safely after Joel successfully reset ted the elevator switch board. The gentleman called the front desk security to notified me that got out of the elevator safely.

The rest of day was quiet and in fact, the majority of the time is quite boring. I was posted at the loading dock which I took some time to read the Friday's newspaper and some personal books for expand my reading and writing abilities. The time in the morning goes faster because of the activities inside the loading dock. All my job is to take incoming couriers driver information to state their business in the building. Basically, I don't do much, but occasionally respond to calls to open doors or assist building engineers.

After lunch, I waited for three o'clock, but waiting for the timeline can be torture. The last 30 minutes were long. I tried to read, but eyes lids were too heavy for me to be able to read and understand what I am reading. It is difficult for me to read when your sleepy and sometimes, while I read, I slowly shut down my eye lids slowly. I don't know why this happens to me because this upsets me very much. I would love to read without dozing off slowly. I need find a way to prevent this odd behavior of mines. Anyway, the day finish and quickly departed from the building.

I just wanted to get home and go to sleep and get some rest. I wanted to buy some items before Christmas, but I am going to do accomplish it tomorrow with the assistant of my girlfriend. I slept about four hours, which helped me to recover. Now, I am going to have difficult time to sleep, but I am pretty sure I can manage to go to sleep.

Tomorrow, it will be another day. I just hope it goes fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment